A focused approach that ensures your students get the right kind of support.
We work with students, educators, schools, and districts in a variety of capacities. The SET-BC mandate is to support students with complex needs and that’s where our services start. We take a needs-based approach to support, and focus our services on the students with the most diverse and significant learning needs. We’re motivated by our goal to build the capacity of all B.C. school districts to support their students, to help lay their foundation, and to encourage a sense of belonging, connection, and purpose for all students in their educational settings.
How it Works
- Please find below the form to initiate a SET-BC Request for Service for a student with diverse and significant learning needs.
- Anyone who is a school or district-based Case Manager/Key Contact may fill out a Request for Service, however, it is strongly recommended you contact your SET-BC District Partner to confirm this application.
- Once you have filled out the Request for Service, it will automatically be sent to your SET-BC District Partner for approval. Each District Partner (DP) will decide which applications will be forwarded to SET-BC as official Requests for Service. Districts will continue to decide on and prioritize which students to put forward to SET-BC for service requests.
- Student Requests for Service submitted by DPs to SET-BC are considered based on need and district support capacity by the SET-BC Provincial Review Team.
- Successful applicants are assigned to a SET-BC Education team who will contact the school for next steps.
- We have two intake periods – applications submitted in late spring for a September start of service and applications submitted in late Fall for a mid-to-late January start of service.
- There are two types of student service requests that can be made: Full Service Requests (Assistive Technology Loan AND SET-BC Team Support) or Assistive Technology Loan Only.
- District, school, and classroom/specialist team members can also take advantage of hands-on training through SET-BC’s Professional Learning Services. Visit our PL Services link to learn more.
If you are a teacher, Administrator, Case Manager or Key Contact for a student with complex needs please click the button below to fill out the form in order to initiate a request for SET-BC support for your student.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question? Check out some of the common questions we receive about our Core Services. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, be sure to check out our main FAQ page for more questions.
All services must be requested through a SET-BC District Partner. Currently, SET-BC does not deal directly with any schools, teachers, or parents.
SET-BC is a Provincial Outreach Program funded by the BC Ministry of Education. Our mandate is to only support BC school districts, and we therefore do not offer service outside of BC. For services in other projects or countries, we recommend consulting with your local educational services to see if your province, state, or county offer a similar service or program.
SET-BC does still work with classrooms as in the previous model. Classroom/School-Based projects are typically between 6 to 8 weeks in length, however, we do not leave equipment at the conclusion of a project. In general, SET-BC’s Classroom/School-Based solutions are about building capacity and inclusive best practices. To learn more about Classroom/School Based Projects, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.