SET-BC has been facilitating online Professional Development and training events for many years. We use an online meeting and training environment known as Adobe Connect. There are many online meeting services available but we have found Connect to be one of the easiest for our participants to use. Our system also allows our facilitators to create very interactive and engaging sessions. During the sessions, participants can ask questions, make comments, request specific information, and interact with other participants. Our session facilitators are committed to creating effective learning experiences for their online participants.
We facilitate online Pro D and training events throughout the school year. If you are interested in participating, follow these simple steps:
- Check our Upcoming Events list to find a scheduled session of interest.
- Register for that session through our online registration system.
- Once you register, you will receive an email with complete instructions on how to participate in your session.
- A few minutes before the scheduled start time, go to your session URL and enter the online room. Follow any instructions in the room for audio connection.
Technical requirements for our online participants are minimal.
- You will need to be able to connect to our SET-BC Connect server with a current browser (Chrome is recommended) and the current version of Adobe Flash Player installed (if your system is up-to-date, this player should be current). Follow this link to test your system and audio. If your Flash plug in is not up-to-date, you will be prompted to update it. Depending on how your system is set up, you may require assistance or permission from your IT department to do this. Other than this standard Flash requirement, there are no other plug ins to install.
- You will need access to the internet – wired is best but wifi will also work if it is relatively stable.
- You will need either a headset with microphone (if the session audio is through the room connection) or a telephone (if the audio is through a teleconference).
- For those that would like to connect using their mobile devices, there are Adobe Connect Mobile apps available for both iOS and Android devices.
Want to have company while participating in an online session? Many school teams get together as a group in a meeting room or computer lab to participate together. These groups usually set up one computer and a projector so everyone can see the session while having one group member handle questions for the facilitator. Attending online sessions as a group offers more opportunity to discuss and reflect on what is being presented.
We are always expanding our online session offerings and would like to hear from you! If you have an idea or request for an online session, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about our online program or need help getting connected, you can also contact us at that same email – firstname.lastname@example.org.