Learning Centre Archive
Welcome to the Learning Centre Archive. Archived entries are categorized as they relate to Access, Autism, Communication, Curriculum and Vision.
Current Topics (categorized under Communication, Differentiation, Learning and Participation headings), are available here.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Low-Tech Toolkit (2009)
The AAC Low-Tech Toolkit was developed by SET-BC to support teachers and speech-language pathologists. Choosing and developing an augmentative and alternative communication system may seem like a daunting task. However, by starting slowly and exploring the studentís communication needs and skills you will begin to find your way to the best AAC solution. Students who require augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) should have a "non-technical" or "low-technical" system. These systems are the foundation for exploring voice-output technology. A symbol assessment is often a precursor to developing non-technical AAC. This will help you determine:
- Type of symbol the student can recognize
- Number of selections that can be presented at one time
- Size of selection the student can accurately target
You will also need to think about what vocabulary you will choose, where the communication system will be used and the ways in which the system can be incorporated into the student's day.
Remember that a non-technical AAC system typically continues to be an important form of communication for students after a technical system is available.
The AAC toolkit is provided to help teams explore non-technical AAC options. We hope it gives you ideas for getting students started with AAC!
These short clips contain information specific to the (AAC) Low-Tech Toolkit. The segments contain audio and/or video and can be viewed by clicking the presentation title. (Note: Viewing video requires an up-to-date Flash player).
- Introduction - Lorraine Kamp (1:40 min)
- Considerations and Guidelines - Sharon O'Dornan (1:37 min)
- Symbol Assessment - Lorraine Kamp (1:36 min)
- Theme Boards - Sharon O'Dornan (0:50 min)
- Communication Flip Books - Sharon O'Dornan (1:07 min)
- Partner Assisted Scanning & PODD - Sharon O'Dornan, Lorraine Kamp (2:00 min)
- PECS - Picture Exchange Communication System - Lorraine Kamp (1:30 min)
- Adapted Books - Sarah Nowland (2:46 min)
- Visual Scene Displays - Yvonne Green (4:04 min)
- Boardmaker Activity Pad - 5 Boardmaker Activities - Sharon O'Dornan (3:07 min)
- Conclusion - Sharon O'Dornan (0:55 min)