This set of mini-tutorials covers only the very basic skills for Reading, Writing, Studying, and Importing Documents in Kurzweil 3000. The tutorials were created with support from Prince Rupert teachers Rod Hikida and Anne Dopson.
Module One - Basic Reading Skills
Find a reading voice, speed, and zoom that work for you and begin reading in Kurzweil. Control the amount of text that Kurzweil reads. Change pages in Kurzweil and navigate quickly on a page. Track your skills, customization, and practice.
Module Two - Basic Studying Skills
Look up definitions and synonyms and change the dictionary. Highlight important vocabulary or information and read just the highlights. Use Sticky Notes to add reminders or summarize the contents of a paragraph. Track your skills, customization, and practice.
Module Three - Basic Writing Skills
Open a new document and hear Kurzweil speak characters, words, and/or sentences as you type. Change font, size, style, alignment, and spacing of text. Check spelling by listening for errors and using the talking spellchecker. Track your skills, customization, and practice.
- Kurzweil Writing: New Document and Speak As You Type Options (43kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Writing: Font, Size, Style, Alignment, Spacing (43kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Writing: Talking Spellcheck (54kb PDF)
- Basic Writing Skills Checklist (14kb PDF)
Module Four - Importing Documents to Kurzweil
Open a Kurzweil (.kes), Word (.doc or .docx), or Adobe (.pdf) document in Kurzweil. Convert a World Book Online article to Kurzweil format. Import a graphic organizer or worksheet from the web and fill it in.
Module Five - Word Lists
Creating word list from document. Creating word list from highlights. Using floating word lists. Using word lists with word prediction. Editing word list. Creating a word list by typing the words.
- Kurzweil Word List: Word list from document (126kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Word List: Word list from highlights (137kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Word List: Floating word lists (140kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Word List: Word lists and word prediction (138kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Word List: Word lists from typing (83kb PDF)
- Kurzweil Word List: Editing word lists (90kb PDF)